What is Medicare?
Medicare is a federal health insurance program for U.S. citizens and lawfully admitted aliens who have lived in the United States for at least 5 years. It covers:
- People age 65 and older
- People younger than age 65 with certain disabilities
- People of all ages with end-stage renal disease or permanent kidney failures
If neither you nor your spouse have paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you will need to pay a monthly premium.
If you are eligible for Part A hospital insurance, either for free or by paying for it, you can also enroll in Medicare medical insurance (Part B) by applying for it through social security and paying a monthly premium.
Medicare has 3 parts:
- Part A—hospital insurance helps you pay for your inpatient care in hospitals. For example, Part A will help cover the cost of a shared hospital room, meals and nursing. Some plans also assist with costs associated with nursing facility care if you meet certain requirements.
- Part B—medical insurance helps you pay for services that are considered important for the diagnosis or treatment of a medical condition. These include doctor visits, procedures that don’t require an overnight hospital stay and some preventive care services, such as flu shots and a yearly wellness visit.
- Part D—prescription drug coverage
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, in a joint venture with three other New England Blue plans, contracts with the federal government to offer prescription drug coverage, Blue MedicareRx SM (PDP). For more information or to enroll, click here.
Medigap Policy Options
Our Medicare supplement plans may help you with a worry-free retirement!
Vermont Medigap Blue℠
Supplemental coverage for Vermonters turning 65 or just retiring offered through our subsidiary, The Vermont Health Plan. Learn more
Vermont Blue 65℠
For Vermonters covered by Medicare Parts A and B. Learn more
All supplemental plans include:
- Your choice of doctors and hospitals
- Immediate protection
- Virtually no paperwork
- Coverage that keeps pace with Medicare
- Strength and security of "The Blues"
- An ID card that's recognized worldwide
- Local, personal service