What is Medicare?
Medicare is health insurance for people 65 or older, people under 65 with certain disabilities, and people of any age with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant).
If neither you nor your spouse have paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years, you will need to pay a monthly premium.
If you are eligible for Part A hospital insurance, either for free or by paying for it, you can also enroll in Medicare medical insurance (Part B) by applying for it through social security and paying a monthly premium.
Medicare has 3 parts:
- Part A—hospital insurance helps you pay for your inpatient care in hospitals. For example, Part A will help cover the cost of a shared hospital room, meals and nursing. Some plans also assist with costs associated with nursing facility care if you meet certain requirements.
- Part B—medical insurance helps you pay for services that are considered important for the diagnosis or treatment of a medical condition. These include doctor visits, procedures that don’t require an overnight hospital stay and some preventive care services, such as flu shots and a yearly wellness visit.
- Part D—prescription drug coverage**
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, in a joint venture with three other New England Blue plans, contracts with the federal government to offer prescription drug coverage, Blue MedicareRx SM (PDP). For more information or to enroll, click here.
Medigap Policy Options
Our Medicare supplement plans may help you with a worry-free retirement!
Vermont Medigap BlueSM
Supplemental coverage for Vermonters turning 65 or just retiring offered through our Vermont Health Plan. Learn more
Vermont Blue 65SM
For Vermonters covered by Medicare Parts A and B. Learn more
All supplemental plans include:
- Your choice of doctors and hospitals
- Immediate protection
- Virtually no paperwork
- Coverage that keeps pace with Medicare
- Strength and security of "The Blues"
- An ID card that's recognized worldwide
- Local, personal service
S2893_17103 Pending CMS Approval Page Last Updated 08/21/2017
**Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont, in a joint venture with three other New England Blue plans, contracts with the Federal Government to provide Part D benefits.
Anthem Insurance Companies, Inc., Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Inc., Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont are the legal entities which have contracted as a joint enterprise with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and are the risk-bearing entities for Blue MedicareRx (PDP) plans. The joint enterprise is a Medicare-approved Part D Sponsor. Enrollment in Blue MedicareRx (PDP) depends on contract renewal.
®Registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.