BCBSVT Velocity All Boys' Program
What is Velocity?
Velocity is a unique after-school program designed for middle school boys. The goals of the program are to:
- Increase self-esteem
- Encourage a healthy and active lifestyle
- Provide opportunities to try new fitness activities in a non-competitive setting
- Address common issues middle school boys face
- Build confidence and communication skills
- Offer six different activity modules each with a corresponding lesson; we create an environment where boys can challenge themselves both physically and mentally.
Why an all boys program?
We feel that boys need to be given as many opportunities as possible to be healthy and active. Many middle school boys begin to lose interest in traditional sports and gravitate towards more sedentary activities. Now more than ever boys struggle with obesity due, in part, to “plugging in” to video games, TV and the internet. Velocity offers them an alternative.
Benefits of Velocity:
- The Velocity program allows boys to participate in various activities in an environment where everyone wins and no one is “picked last for the team.”
- Activities increase self-esteem and provide a sense of accomplishment when boys experience personal success
- The format creates an environment of trust where boys can express emotions
- The boys are able to develop and foster close relationships with each other in a non-judgemental arena
- Clear and common objectives allow boys to collectively harness their energy towards a single goal
- Activities result in growth and development on an individual level, so boys can progress at their own pace as they continue in the future
Past activities include:
- Hiking and Orienteering
- Break Dancing
- Martial Arts
- Weight Training
Past discussion topics:
- Relationships with girls
- Social media issues
- Role Models
Each session of Velocity will include an activity geared toward health and fitness as wells a as a facilitated discussion with the boys.
How to bring Velocity to your school:
Velocity is growing! We’re looking for more schools to add Velocity to their after‑school roster. Check us out on Facebook by searching “Velocity Boys Program” or at www.bcbsvt.com/velocity.
Contact us and we’ll walk you through the brief application process.
The Velocity Program costs $60 per participant but we don’t want leave anyone out so we will work with each school to meet your needs.
For more information and to apply, please email Katelyn Irwin at email@example.com or call (802) 652-8153.